St. Patrick's Day (was Re: SC - OT - For Our Inverted Friends inLochac)

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Mar 17 20:53:54 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Doesn't surprise me since St. Brigid was actually a goddess that the Church
> made into a saint. :-)
>
> Ras

Ermm, not exactly. There is a Celtic mythological figure (i'n't she the
wife of the Dagda and mother of Angus Og?), the goddess, if you will,
the Abbess, or real historical figure, and the synthesis of the two
which comprises the Christian mythos of Saint Brigid. Now, the Catholic
Church has occasionally assumed canonization for certain allegorical
figures, such as Saint Christopher, but strictly speaking, Brigid isn't
one of them.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy