SC - Re: Pewter casting

Richard Kappler rkappler at home.com
Fri Mar 17 19:57:40 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Interesting. I wonder why St. Brigid has all the symbols and rites of the
> Goddess Brigid

I'm not sure what rites you're referring to. Sure, if you celebrate
Imbolc and then say, nudge nudge, see how we're venerating Brigid, then,
maybe. You're not talking about going to Mass, are you?

> AND has her feast day is on the day that is (was) sacred to
> Brigid, the Celtic goddess? Talk about coincidences..........:-)

Of the three Saint Brigids I've found references to, one (I believe this
would be the abbess, Brigid of Kildare) appears to have died on February
first, at least according to translations of her contemporary biography.
The other feast days are January 21st and November 2nd.

As I said earlier, there appears to be some fusion of the respective
mythologies of the goddess and the saint, but that doesn't make them
interchangable.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy