Daylilies (Was SC - Birthdays and Daffy Dills)

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 17 22:48:05 PST 2000

Actually, several weeks ago Stefan mentioned that he was into pewter casting
and I went through the Florilegium as well as querried him privately about
the subject thinking something along the lines of "well, if I give up the
three hours of sleep I'm getting a night (a luxury, I agree) I could really
get into this in my spare time."  While doing further research I found
several sources on the web for supplies.  I personally would like to
recommend a fellow named Roy Torney who sells soapstone out of Ontario.  I
have no affiliation with this man other than I have placed an order with
him, but the prompt service, good prices and wealth of information seem to
me to make buying from him worthwile.  I could probably get it cheaper
elsewhere, though not much, but he has cheerfully answered every question I
have had and a few I didn't think to ask, and if his product is as good as
his customer service (I'll know in a few days) he has a long term customer.
His website is at http://www.eagle.ca/~quarry

He responds to e-mail within a few hours.  Check him out.  Additionally, if
anyone has any recommendations for casting and carving equipment, I'd be
glad to hear them.  I'm getting ready to make that purchase in the next few
days.  Please respond privately though, as I don't want to encounter Papa's
bemused ELA ire any more than such as already comes naturally for me ;-)

regards, Puck

If you can't run with the Big Dawgs, stay on the porch with the puppies.

    There is also TONS of info on this topic in Stefan's Florilegium! A lot
of it is taken from the Rialto, where I got my first info on soapstone
casting years back. There are some excellent individual articles on this
there, too. And if for some reason you can't get to that, I could toss you
the file of my class notes that I've used when teaching this. It's not
nearly
as good as some of the articles in the Florilegium, since I lost the better
version in a hard drive crash, but.............. *shrug*
    It *is* best, of course, to learn this one-on-one. I learned it
completely from online sources, but then I have a background in jewelry
work,
so a lot of the basic ideas were familiar territory. But check around your
area and see if perhaps there are some folks who do this and would be
willing
to teach you. Maybe check with your kingdom's A&S minister, they might at
least know who to ask!  :-)

            Ldy Diana