SC - Birthdays and Daffy Dills

The Cheshire Cat cheshire at southcom.com.au
Sat Mar 18 01:07:05 PST 2000

Having fled to the bush for two weeks of R'n'R, thought I'd ask people who
know more than I do about utes...

I'm told that you can have either a tray-back ute (all three sides can be
flipped down) or a style-sided ute (both sides are rigid, back can open);
bed would be used here in talking 'bout a truck, not a ute - "unless you're
a yank".

So bed is used for tray by you guys in the US? (Mind you, the tray would get
a bit of use as a bed at the odd B&S here, too, so in at least one sense the
terms are interchangable...)

Kylie

Various people wrote ...

> > Lam-ing-ton
> >
> > (pronounciation hint - as in "taking it on the lam...")
> >
> > And now for the advanced class -  try the following word -
> >
> > "UTE"  (as in two-door vehicle with carry tray)
>
>Presumably this is homophonic with a Brooklyn pronunciation of a word
>meaning, "an immature (usually male) human": yout' .

Hey, you have a problem with Brooklyn-esque speaking?

and Mari, it's not a carry tray, it's a bed...

> > Mari
> > (who knows the proper pronounciation of "Aluminium" but prefers our
>version.....
> > :-p)
>
>Hey, I have no problem at all with that pronunciation. Perfectly
>correct, phonetically. Is there some reason why you folks insist on
>misspelling it, though?

Hey, there's no use in agruing with her about it, I've tried...

I have to go load a UPS in my UTE's carry tray and then, Bob's your Uncle,
I'm off on the road for the day...