SC - Sampler of Messages

alysk@ix.netcom.com alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 18 06:43:04 PST 2000

And I agree... I would like a copy also.  And I know that there will be
others who would not. But hey, I just got a new cookbook that is now my
favorite.  It is called Onions, Onions, Onions.  Tells the history of onions.
 Has dialogs with onion scientists, growers, etc. (and after reading about
all the scientific altering of onions I wonder _a little_ how close "period"
onions are)  And wonderful recipes.  Ones that I plan on adapting for a feast
sometime.  Now if you dislike onions I KNOW this is not the book for you, nor
would be the dish I would prepare.  Still, I love it.  If you want period,
documented dishes at home and at feasts, this book might increase your
knowledge of onions, but you would probably not care for the recipes.  If
only documented, period feasts are your thing, you might not like my
adaptation.  I understand.  I won't pretend the recipe is period or
documented.

Which brings me to another question about "documented recipes", menus and
announcing foods. How does the populace even KNOW that they are eating
something redacted/period?  You know... I could fall into the category of
"you know, all period food sucks!!.  Then go to a feast and have a wonderful
meat dish and think.  WOW, I need this recipe.  This is GREAT!!  I wonder if
it is in my Better Homes and Garden Cookbook and I just missed it.  I'll have
to check when I get home.   Now how would I know that I had just eaten a GOOD
PERIOD DISH?

If you told me ahead of time... perhaps printing it on the menus that we are
"all" posting somewhere :-)   I might skip feast.  After all, I know that
"all period food sucks!"   Maybe it could be announced as the dishes are
served that it is a redacted dish from "name that source".  Now I am a
"captive diner".  I'm hungry and the dish looks good.  I would probably try
it.  Or toward the end of the feast (In Meridies we tend to call the cook out
for accolades toward the end of the feast) the cook could announce that
he/she hopes the populace found the feast to their liking and the following
dishes were from "period" recipes.   Oh, now you got me.  I've already eaten
it and liked it.  What can I do now.....?

One nice thing about this List is does not seem to be a list for ONLY those
who document and redact recipes.  It is a List to learn more about those
things, how to incorporate them into feasts, how to introduce the populace
into new foods and ways of preparing them.  And a way to have an interchange
of ideas.  BUT, you never know... I might be wrong.

Rayne
(don't tell me if I'm wrong publicly - tell me privately so I can at least
lurk)

In a message dated 3/17/00 10:46:23 PM Central Standard Time,