SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2023

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Sat Mar 18 15:04:18 PST 2000

sca-cooks wrote:

For Our Inverted Friends inLochac)

> You have to remember also that the Catholic missionaries to Ireland, England and the Frontier, allowed the Pagan converts to celebrate there
feast days as Christian holy days Only they would give them a Christian
spin, Christmas is one such Holy day, as is Easter.  Jesus was born in
April according to a lot of Scholars.
> Thorbjorn Bjornson
> Calontir
> Contact Person for Geisterhugel, Allamakee and Clayton Co. Iowa
> - ----- Original Message -----   As Christianity came into contact with other cultures the new
converts  brought their own names into the new Chistian context.
Remember, all  'christian names' were of another culture at one point,
Greek, Roman, Celtic, etc..., the only culture this is not true of is
possibly Jewish from which Christianity sprung to begin with.

Johann writes:
 An addition friend Thorbjorn, Christmas had already been celebrated by
Christian Romans before sending missionaries to Britain and beyound.
Granted, it may have been chosen for the pagan Roman hoiday of
Saturnalia, nonetheless, it precedes the conversion of the islands.

Johann von Metten writes:

>Molli wrote:
>  That is a very interesting statement. Please could you expand on it?

Surely, milady,
I meant that of all cultures Judism is as close to being Christianity's
'native culture' as one could find.
  Christianity sprang from Judism as a sucker/sapling springs from an
established root. Jesus and all the first Christians were first Jews, it
was as a member of that chosen race that He was born and lived and died.
What ever else came after that and our thoughts about this faith must
start there.
  I hope this answers your question and maybe raises a few more?

"To question and to listen is the beginning of wisdom, to strive to know
what ones knows not"

Johann