SC - Lady Seaton's Project

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Mar 18 18:39:53 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/18/2000 11:36:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
LrdRas at aol.com writes:

> Calendula, which are quite tasty, are also known as pot marigolds.
>
>  Ras

And they are VERY edible. Just don't confuse them with the African Marigold
so often used in modern landscaping. Even Gerard says they're poisonous. I
seem to remember him recounting a child dying from eating the then recently
introduced African marigold, and he did an experiment with a chicken or a dog
or something himself ... but alas my memory is poor and the book isn't at
hand. If anybody's interested I'll look it up.

Calendula however was used in soups and broths and was said to lighten the
heart of the person consuming it. I use in in a concoction I call "Bruise
Butter" mostly. Very popular in this neck of the woods.

Corwyn