SC - Re: garum in Anthimus

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sun Mar 19 06:10:07 PST 2000

sca-cooks wrote:

> [...]
> From: LrdRas at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - Evolution of food-genetics of food
>
> In a message dated 3/18/00 5:56:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> CorwynWdwd at aol.com writes:
>
> << In the laboratory tests, monarchs fed milkweed leaves dusted with
> so-called
>  transformed pollen from a Bt-corn hybrid ate less, grew more slowly and
>  suffered a higher mortality rate, the researchers report.  >>
>
> I would be interested to know how much more pollen was dusted on the leaves
> than would have occurred naturally and also how many caterpillars would have
> died naturally from predators or illness without the additional dusting.
> Scientists tend to conduct their 'proofs' with experiments that would never
> occur naturally. For instance, Saccharin was fed to rats at a rate that would
> have equaled human beings drinking 100 cans of soda a day from the day they
> were born until they died a natural death to prove it causes cancer.
> Cigarettes were smoked by dogs at a rate that would be the equivalent of 20
> packs a day for humans to prove they caused cancer. I can't say that I except
> any scientific fact finding study that does not subject the subject to
> natural or predictable conditions. Therefore, I find this study to be
> sensationalist and without any valid grounds barring further information
> including a transcript of the entire study and the basis for the pronounced
> 'problems'.
>
> Ras
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 23:54:06 EST
> From: LrdRas at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - Period recipes/Adapting recipes Was: Lady Seaton's Project
>
> In a message dated 3/18/00 9:30:35 AM Eastern Standard Time, RichSCA at aol.com
> writes:
>
> << Now if you dislike onions I KNOW this is not the book for you, nor
>  would be the dish I would prepare. >>
>
> If you were the only one with an onion probem and it were my feast and 124
> others were attending, your onion problem would be yours.
>
> Ras
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 23:58:03 EST
> From: LrdRas at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - Period recipes/Adapting recipes Was: Lady Seaton's Project
>
> In a message dated 3/18/00 9:30:35 AM Eastern Standard Time, RichSCA at aol.com
> writes:
>
> << How does the populace even KNOW that they are eating
>  something redacted/period? >>
>
> They read the menu at the Troll booth or outside  the Kitchen or they read
> the ingredients list outside the kitchen or at the Troll booth. or....more
> likely they look to see who is cooking the feast, (i.e. myself, Dame Aiofe,
> THL Gille, THL Thorstein, Master Huen, Master Cariadoc, Master Adamantius and
> many others) and know it will be period....period....  or at least they know
> that anything NOT period will be prominently labeled as such without

 In a message dated 3/18/00 9:34:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mmkl at indy.net writes:

>   It cannot be emphasized enough that 'Christianity' itself has no
>  culture, it is like salt or yeast, an ingredient which transforms those dishes, cultures, it comes in contact with. >>
>
> Hmmmm..imagine that? Christianity and Paganism have that much in common. Who would of thought? :-)
>
> Ras

 Marcus Loidolt reponds,
Well, Ras, that is exactly what we will be gently, calmly discussing at
the new list. Come to 'religious-anthropology at egroups.com'
We will be talking about all kinds of religious expressions from
Paganism, Judism, Christianity and all sorts of other beliefs from a
fairly academic (sorta sanitized) position.
 I may question some of your statements there, but only to gain a better
understanding of what you are saying. I expect you to do the same.

  You are right when you say "Chr...and Paganism have that much in
common. Who would of thought?

 Whenever humans become passionate about ANYTHING we often loose
perspective, and instead of explaning our positions we defend them or
attack another's. This is true for every position Pagan, Jew, Christian,
Buddhist, etc.. if you are human you are prone to all the races failings
and well as any benefits!!

Marcus

P.S. Nothing further should be said here so that we can get back to the
business of talking cooking? yeah thats it!! cooking and chickens!!

Johann