SC - Re: egg yolks and sanity

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Mon Mar 20 13:51:04 PST 2000

- --------------B6F80CD048A9E6F01D9D4167

My Lady,
I was not in on the beginning of this string, but now that I know where it came
from, I offer a couple of suggestions that go beyond using whites in pies and
yolks in sauces.  I have run across a couple of later period recipes that use
hard-boiled eggs in a fashion that, depending on the number of people at your
feast, would use up all that you have.

One comes from Epulario, The Italian Feast, published by Falconwood Press.  It's
called "To dresse and fill Egges".  It is a kind of stuffed egg affair where you
mix up the center as you would for deviled eggs, put the two halves of the egg
together, then fry them and serve with a sauce made of egg yolks, wine, vinegar,
sugar cloves and cinnamon, with a final addition of currants.  It is absolutely
delightful and serves as a protein for vegetarians!

Another is from A Taste of History: 10,000 Years of Food in Britain.  It's Eggs
with Mustard and is simply hard-boiled eggs, cut into quarters and served with a
mustard sauce.  It is from the "Tudor Britain" section of the book, and was
found originally in The Widow's Treasure by J. Partridge.  I plan to serve this
as part of an appetizer course at an upcoming Elizabethan feast.

Hope this helps a bit!

Kiri

Gaylin Walli wrote:

> Brandu wrote:
>
> >Why are you driving yourself crazy finding uses for something you
> >don't NEED to have as a by product?
>
> Perhaps my comments on this in the earlier messages was missed.
> My apologies for not making them more prominent.
>
> I am trying to account for *free* eggs that might be donated to
> the feast, not driving myself crazy for something I don't need.
> Assuming the eggs are free, using the whites for pies/tarts and
> finding a sauce or some other use for the yolks seems like a good
> idea, rather than wasting so many free yolks.
>
> I will certainly not turn down 152+ free eggs for the sake of
> convenience in using powdered whites that I would have to
> purchase. Again and as I stated in earlier e-mail, if the eggs
> do not materialize as a donation, then I will certainly be
> considering the powdered whites as a substitute.
>
> Good Lady Allison (& indirectly Lord Stefan of the Flora-thingy)
> my thanks in pointing out the location of the sauce article
> for my education. I'll be reading up on it shortly.
>
> Jasmine
> gwalli at infoengine.com

- --------------B6F80CD048A9E6F01D9D4167

My Lady,
it came from, I offer a couple of suggestions that go beyond using whites
in pies and yolks in sauces.  I have run across a couple of later
period recipes that use hard-boiled eggs in a fashion that, depending on
the number of people at your feast, would use up all that you have.
Press.  It's called "To dresse and fill Egges".  It is a kind
of stuffed egg affair where you mix up the center as you would for deviled
eggs, put the two halves of the egg together, then fry them and serve with
a sauce made of egg yolks, wine, vinegar, sugar cloves and cinnamon, with
a final addition of currants.  It is absolutely delightful and serves
as a protein for vegetarians!
</i>It's Eggs with Mustard and is simply hard-boiled eggs, cut into quarters
and served with a mustard sauce.  It is from the "Tudor Britain" section
of the book, and was found originally in <i>The Widow's Treasure</i> by