SC - Entomophagy

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 20 22:51:43 PST 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie
Lucrezia tells us:
- - white peas = chickpeas (oops)

actually, I dont know that this is true. Chickpeas or ceci beans or
garbanzos are indeed in the pea family, but my reading suggests that white
peas are peas.

see, when you take whole green peas and dry them, the outer husk turns
white, and they look, well, white.

Interestingly, when you boil them, as in the period pea soup recipes from
Martha Washington etc, the skins come off (just like the recipe describes),
and you can skim them off (just like the recipe describes) and you end up
with green pea glop, just as if you had startted with modern split peas.

go figure!
if any one has any evidence to the contrary, I'd love to hear about it...

- --AM, who is very jealous of Lucruztias neat event in Wales :)