SC - A question on Cookbook and Projects

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Tue Mar 21 03:08:34 PST 2000

Brangwayna,

There's a kloken vanlyner that the footnote does call kloken wan honer.
' One shall make a cup of dough' seemed a little like an individual
turnover.  Unless they want you to roll out a cup of dough into a regular
pie shell--deep dish, for the chicken depth.

 The recipe above it that we call Icelandic chicken wants a young chicken
cut in two.  I've usually had this as an individual serving, but,
depending on how young (small) your chicken was, this could be done as a
table serving.  Does anyone have information on sizes of chicken in the
middle ages?  I usually think of a fairly small chicken, scratching
around the yard, but certainly not as small as a Cornish Game Hen in
today's markets.

As we will have a fire pit this Pennsic, lets try baking it in a dutch
oven.  I have a small metal piece that goes into a dutch oven to keep the
contents raised above the oven bottom and this could let air circulate
under our 'pie plate'.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com