SC - Sabina Welser -- online and available in print

Wed Mar 22 08:37:54 PST 2000

At 09:27 AM 3/22/00 -0600, you wrote:

>Oh and on the topic of cooking and Gulf Wars, two entries of cooking were
>in the War Point A&S. One was Lady Gwyneth's Beef Stew. She would
>have done better if she had a bit more documentation. But I heard several
>people rave about the dish itself. And another lady who was evidently
>very impressive and even included a live frog pie. I didn't get to attend the
>judging so if someone has more information on these entries I'm sure we
>would appreciate it.

Gwyneth here.
I wish I'd have gotten to talk to Gunthar BEFORE the war...he gave me much
good advice as to improving my documentation.  I'm already planning a
project for Steppes Warlord.
Anyway, I had great fun setting up my display.  I got to set a table out
doors with a cook fire to heat my stew.  The actual cooking I did at my
camp on a coleman stove the day before.  Ended up with a horrible sunburn
on my neck from bending over the pot and the mortar all day.  The best part
of cooking at camp instead of alone at home is there is always someone who
wonders by and says "that smells good, can I have a bite" and then I get to
strike up a conversation about how good medieval food can be and debunk all
those myths about over-spicing, etc.
The frog pie had plastic frogs on springs...she may have had a live one too
but all I saw were those.  Her display was very impressive as was her
research and knowledge.  I beleive she received a perfect score of 5.
Competion has it's own rewards and learning opportunities, but what I'm
really anxious to do is another big period feast.  I am also excited about
a cooking class I plan to teach at Kingdom Warlord and King's College, both
in June.  I've never done anything formal with teaching a food class
before.  Any cooks out there planning to make either of these events?

Gwyneth