SC - Camp baking

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 22 09:14:08 PST 2000

> 'Lainie asked about violet recipes a while back. Here is what looks
> rather like a violet pudding?
>
> Vyolette
> Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books p. 29
>
> Take Flourys of Vyolet, boyle hem, presse hem, bray hem smal, temper
> hem vppe with Almaunde mylke, or gode Cow Mylke, a-lye it with
> Amyndoun or Flowre of Rys; take Sugre y-now, an putte ther-to, or
> hony in defaute; coloure it with the same that the flowrys be on
> y-peyntid a-boue. [thorns replaced by th]
>
> Elizabeth/Betty Cook (well behind the list)

I have a question about this recipe. Basically, here is my interpretation:

Take violet petals, boil them in water, press them dry, mince.
Add the minced petals to either Almond Milk or Cow's milk and
stir in amyndoun or rice flour. Put in enough sugar to make it sweet
or you can add honey if you prefer.
I'm not sure about the last sentence. I guess it can mean present
it so the flowers are represented above.

I would think this would be heated or boiled until it comes together
but no mention is made of heating the mixture. How does this become
puddinglike? Is the rice flour enough alone to thicken it?

It sounds neat and a wonderful addition to something like a Queen's
luncheon. I guess I'll have to try it myself.

Thanks,

Gunthar