SC - Gulf War A&S

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Mar 22 11:49:35 PST 2000

As long as you are above 32 F, bread will rise, slowly, but it will rise.
The worry in an overnight rise is the dough will rise too fast and slump.

I would suggest using a sourdough.  The first rise will usually be between 8
and 12 hours, the second between 1 and 2.

To make a quick starter, mix 1/2 cup water and 1 cup flour in a bowl, cover
with plastic wrap and let stand on the counter.  In about 2 days the mix
will start to bubble.  At this point it is ready to use.  Make a batch of
bread replacing the yeast and about 1 cup of the flour with the starter.
After the first rise, put a cup of the dough into a bowl cover with plastic
and let stand on the counter.  Feed it 1/4 cup of water and 1/2 cup of flour
about ever 12 hours.  If you don't want to feed it every 12 hours, feed it
once, then put it in a sealed container and place the container in the
refrigerator.  The starter should be okay for 3-4 days.

To keep it in the best condition, the starter should be used to bake
something every 3 days or less.  Starter can be frozen to keep it for
extended periods, but it takes 2-3 days of feeding to recover from freezing.

Bear