SC - mushrooms

Gwynydd of Culloden Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au
Wed Mar 22 15:40:14 PST 2000

- ------------APFM24957110

Unto the Gathered Cooks does Gwynydd send the following:

O please don't rehash this in private!  I have long wondered about those cooks who seem to like making extra work by peeling mushrooms (I have never bothered!) and am curious about the possibility of there being a reason behind it.

Gwynydd (searching beside the rock for some tasy fungus)

At 2000-03-23 07:02:25.140001,
Christina van Tets (cjvt at hotmail.com) wrote:
> Hello the list!
>
> My word, it's been a long time since I read a digest - five
> months, I think!
>   Unfortunately reality got in the way for a while.  So you've
> probably
> thrashed this to death in my absence, but just in case you haven't:
>
> Is there any good culinary reason why some recipes in the
> mediaeval corpus
> say to peel mushrooms?  Or is it merely to give you time and
> opportunity to
> spot which ones go yellow (which we don't need if we buy
> cultivated ones
> these days)?
>
> If you have thrashed it out in my absence, can someone reply
> privately, to
> avoid rehashing it all in public?
>
> Cairistiona
> SCA-Cooks".

> =========

 Send Amazing Cards FREE by e-mail with
 FREE e-Gift and FREE decoration:
 www.mini-card.com/index.asp?referer=fm1
 Get your own free email account at
 http://www.freemail.com.au/ now part of the
 Webuser.com.au independent portal. Visit at…
 http://www.webuser.com.au
- ------------APFM24957110--