SC - Mediaeval cookbooks to begin with

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu Mar 23 07:20:06 PST 2000

> At 12:01 PM -0500 3/22/00, BSmif76308 at aol.com wrote:
> >Greeting,
> >
> >I was doing a feast and was looking for some recipes.  I
> have the recipes for
> >the main part of the feast but I haven't found any period
> recipes for the
> >deserts I want to serve.  The deserts I am interested in are
> Frangipani,
> >Macaroons, Milan Cakes or Flavored Ice.  If anyone has any
> suggestions where
> >I could find them please let me know.  Thank you for your time.
>
> Do you have reason to believe that any of those are period? If you
> have an actual period reference, someone might be able to point you
> at a period cookbook from the appropriate time and place, and you
> could look through it for your recipe.
>
> David/Cariadoc

Trager's "The Food Chronology" gives a date 1533 for the macaroons, milan
cakes and frangipani being introduced to Florence.  Trager is bad about not
identifying sources, providing a thorough bibliography, and accepting
apocryphal evidence as absolute truth, so the information could be in error.

Apocryphally, frangipani is attributed to Count Cesare Frangipani, who is
said to have created it in Rome around 1530.

I have not found any contemporary reference or recipe.

Bear