SC - Re: egg straining

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Mar 23 21:31:37 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/23/00 7:07:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> cnevin at caci.co.uk writes:
>
> << BTW, on a similar subject - I have no medieval cookbooks
>  in my oversized
>     > cookbook collection.  >>
>
> I give up. I tried. :-( Good luck in finding a MEDIEVAL cookbook. My
> suggestion fits that criteria. None of the other suggestions have so far.
> Where am I reading this message wrong?

Simply by overinterpreting it, Ras. Many people would call _Pleyn Delit_
a medieval cookbook. I WILL NOT ARGUE WITH YOU ON WHETHER IT IS OR NOT.
That is not the point. If she has NONE, then it is unlikely that she is
interested in the sometimes fine distinctions that we make on the list.
If I say that I want some books on medieval calligraphy, because I have
none (actually I do, but this is an example, ok?), I am most likely to
be looking for books ABOUT medieval calligraphy, say something by Mark
Van Stone, some basic books of hands, or illumination. And actual period
text (in translation even) or a facsimile is not really what I am
looking to acquire. OR, if my van died tomorrow (which is possible, 'tis
true) and I had no car, I am more likely to look for A CAR, rather than
going from no car to a Mercedes. An old VW would be fine with me. (No
Yugo- I'll admit that there are cookbooks out there that are the
equivalent to a Yugo. But a sturdy servicable _Pleyn Delit_ or the Redon
would certainly be the equal of a Ford Taurus, don't you think?)

Take a deep breath. Get a grip. Everyone has to start somewhere- we
don't spring forth from the Divine forehead with a shelf of books and
wealth of experience like Cariadoc or Adamantius. Well, His Grace
_might_ have, but... ;-)

'Lainie