SC - What Judges Look For @ A&S

WyteRayven@aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Fri Mar 24 07:09:36 PST 2000

- ------------APFM25236940

Unto the Gathered Cooks does Gwynydd of Culloden send the following:

First, I wish to thank all those who have taken the time to suggest cookbooks for my collection.  Unfortunately, I am not able to buy books which cannot be ordered into a local bookstore in Tasmania.  Odd as it may seem in this credit-happy world, neither my Lady nor I have a credit card!  This means that I am almost certainly not able to support, although I would dearly love to, the research efforts of fellow SCAdians.

That said, I feel that I must comment on the "period" versus "redacted" discussion which is raging.

As some posters have commented, I specifically said that I was not comfortable redacting my own recipes.  I am not ready to "re-invent the wheel" - or discover the joy of original scholarship - just yet.  I want a book from which I can cook as soon as I have done the shopping.  I want to be fairly sure that if I follow the recipe I will end up with something at least mostly edible.  I do not feel that I can "read the language" of a period cookbook just yet; I simply do not have the knowlege-base.  Although I am a fairly good cook, I am entirely self-taught in this area (out of cookbooks).  I now have enough knowlege and experience to look at a non-period recipe and say "yes" or "no", and to know what needs to be changed to get it right next time if it was less than successful.  I do not have that knowlege or experience with period cooking.

Perhaps I would feel differently if I attended one of the cooking classes held by some of the gentles on this list, but I do not have that luxury.  I am cooking at home in my own kitchen and I am not able to afford the expense (either in ingredients or time) of "trial and error" cooking - particularly when there is no-one right here (as I rather assume there is in a cooking class) to tell me what I did wrong or right and why it was so.

Thank you all again for the suggestions of useful cookbooks - and I must say that I am finding the debate fascinating!

Gwynydd

 Send Amazing Cards FREE by e-mail with
 FREE e-Gift and FREE decoration:
 www.mini-card.com/index.asp?referer=fm1
 Get your own free email account at
 http://www.freemail.com.au/ now part of the
 Webuser.com.au independent portal. Visit at…
 http://www.webuser.com.au
- ------------APFM25236940--