SC - Sabrina Welserin English translation/translator programQuestions?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri Mar 24 07:46:48 PST 2000

	I do have a grip. I was merely trying to point out that the poster
said they
	already had some 'coffee table' books such as Pleyn Delyt and The
Medieval
	Kitchen. which the poster has since confirmed.
	Ras

Ras, somehow you have confused my answer with the original poster's
response.  She/He (sorry, I can't tell from the name, my Welsh is poor) is
Gwynydd of Culloden, not Lucretzia (or cnevin at caci.co.uk), and originally
said

"BTW, on a similar subject - I have no medieval cookbooks in my oversized
cookbook collection.  Could the good gentles on this list put forward their
ideas for a good (and still available!) first cookbook - I only read English
and am by no means ready to start redacting my own recipes.  I have a
particular interest in confectionery, and do not do pastry (at all! ever! I
have been known to wreck pre-made, pre-rolled pastry, and anyway I don't
presently have a working oven - and probably won't for at least 6 months!)"

Gwynydd does not have any medieval cookbooks.

Please note the
"AM BY NO MEANS READY TO START REDACTING MY OWN RECIPES"

Personally I want to encourage Gwynydd into medieval cooking, and eventually
redacting recipes on her/his own.
There is nothing more creatively satisfying (I feel) than having people come
up to you after a dinner/feast and tell you that <supply name> dish was
divine, could they have the exact recipe, and then handing them your
redaction.

HOWEVER Gwynydd has said she/he ISN'T ready for that yet - and so I (and
others) have given our recommendations for cookbooks which include original
sources as well as redactions and foodways information that will help them
understand and recreate medieval cuisine.

Pleyn Delyt and _especially_ The Medieval Kitchen are NOT coffeetable books
and I'm offended you could say that - that's a rather poorly disguised slur
at the rest of the list's judgment. I (and others) CAN tell the difference
between a coffeetable book and a well-written, academically sound book - I
have the Masters degree to prove it (albeit in Egyptology) - and if you have
any further doubts, check out my booklist on my personal website.

My apologies for the sharp reply - I have no desire to engage in disputation
(and you may not have noticed, but I seldom do) with people I respect, like,
and who often amuse as well as educate me, but I believe you are letting the
'best' become the enemy of the 'good'.

Apologies also to Gwynydd - we aren't normally this fractious - I think
someone's been putting itching powder in the ether!

Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
Lucretzia

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk