SC - don't cringe too bad....

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Mar 24 18:20:20 PST 2000

'Lainie is right, when you see Old English, you'll know it. I own a reprint
of an Old English herbal that might as well have been written in a foreign
language. Middle English on the other hand is not difficult at all once you
get past thinking in terms of modern spelling. I compare it to my son's
spelling (1st grade!) who has been taught in his "Writer's Workshop" at
school to spell phonetically if the word is not one of the handful he is
supposed to know. If you sound a Middle English word out in most cases the
modern equivalent is quite apparent, and if you read a fair amount of Middle
English you soon reach the point where you only occasionally need to look up
a definition.

Amanda
Acanthus Books