SC - More than you probably want to know about corn bread

RichSCA@aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Sat Mar 25 19:07:48 PST 2000

Gwynydd of Culloden wrote:

> How should I make corn bread?  I think that all my recipes (including the 2 which came with my wonderful (I think I am in love!) breadmaker (no flames please on the subject of breadmakers, I can't imagine what I did without mine) use yellow cornmeal and sugar (I may have one with molasses - but I consider the stuff totally inedible in any dish!)

Well, I was joking. When we're not arguing about cuskynoles on the
cooks' list, we occasionally argue about The One True Way to make
certain things such as pizza, chili con carne, and various other things,
including cornbread. Some people (generally, but not exclusively
Southerners) claim that the inherent folly of the standard Yankee-type
individual is showcased in their habit of sweetening cornbread, and
failing to use white cornmeal. Now, the tradition of making cornbread
slightly sweet and using yellow cornmeal is as ancient and as honorable
as any American tradition for cornbread, provided you're North of the
Mason-Dixon Line. However, if you do this in the Southern part of the
country you've committed, according to some, a fairly major sacrilege.
Roughly equivalent to putting green peppers and celery in your New
England Clam Chowder.

I'm not a huge fan of molasses either, unless I have something I need
glued. While there are probably many who feel what I need in my mouth is
some glue to keep it shut, I don't share this view. And molasses doesn't
even taste as good as most glues, AFAIC.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com