SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2056

Guenevere Nelson-Melby Guenevere_Nelson-Melby at needham.k12.ma.us
Mon Mar 27 11:55:11 PST 2000

> What I've faced lately hasn't been "the fighters won't like it", it's a
> couple of non-fighters who jump up and scream "that won't be GOOD FOR
> the fighters."  I'm trying to do a period dayboard this summer.  I
> wanted to make beef tarts, chicken tarts, veggie/cheese tarts and fruit
> tarts, pickles & pickled vegetables, eggs, pretzels or bread & butter.
> I keep getting arguments about things like "eggs will make the fighters
> stomach's upset."  I counter, "Ok, then they don't have to eat them.
> I'm providing plenty else."  This generally gets me a dirty look.  I
> gave in on the "fighters NEED fresh fruits and vegetables because of
> their water content".  But, I didn't give in on "fighters will have
> difficulty eating tarts.  Make everything finger food."

As someone who has worn armor once or twice I wonder about people who
over-protect fighters. As has been noted every fighter is different. But each
fighter should also provide for him/her self if they have special needs. For
example, I usually eat very little during tournaments. I usually have my
healthy breakfast of a mug of coffee and a fried pie and may eat something
like granola or a power bar during mid-day to keep my energy up.

Your day board sounds wonderful and should mainly be directed at the
populace in general. Fighters will either not eat or will provide their own.
If not, what you have should be sufficient for anyone. I know I would appreciate
it. We rarely have dayboards in Ansteorra for anyone other than the Crown
so this would be a special treat. I just don't know if I would eat it.

And for the caring person who worried about what fighters need please know
that fighters NEED water. Perhaps something like a banana or a carbohydrate
to keep the energy up. Pickles also work well on hot days. Fruit is nice but not
needed, the same goes for gatorade. Also most fighters I know could use a
little expenditure of stored reserves.

In other words, dear lady, don't sweat it. You did right.

Yers,

Gunthar