SC - don't cringe too bad....

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 27 13:30:00 PST 2000

I have a question I'd like to pose to you all:  I am looking for a
recipe...or at least references...to/for asparagus in the late
Tudor/Elizabethan period.  I'm getting ready to cook a feast based in
that period, and would love to serve asparagus.

I've searched all of the usual sources for the period that I have:
Digby, Dawson, Eleanor Fettiplace, John Murrell, Robert May, Sarah
Longe.  I've also looked through modern books such as Dining with
William Shakespeare, To the Queen's Taste, A Taste of History, 7
Centuries of English Cooking.  The only reference I can find is Martha
Washington's Book of Cookery, wherein there are directions for growing
the stuff and a recipe for pickling it.  The accompanying commentary
states that asparagas was known in England as early as 1000 C.E.  I know
that Italian sources, like Platina, have references to it, but even
Epulario has nothing.

If any of you know of a place where I can find what I need, please let
me know!  The feast is April 15, and the asparagus will be absolutely
wonderful at that time.

Thanks!

Kiri