SC - don't cringe too bad....

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Mon Mar 27 15:06:14 PST 2000

>  Or maybe we're just filthy, unwashed, uneducated Europeans?

Mayhap, 'tis so with thee, Yette have I found that I am greatlye
comforted by laving below my neck once or twice a weeke, and
moreover laving my handes to the wrists at least once a daye.
Else shall my fine suites of clothe become moste disatrouslye
disscoloured, and the brightnesse of it shall fade, along with mine
standyng at courte. I fynde a whyte ruffe, whych is yet discoloured at
it's root bears no further inspection. The more tragic this is if the wearer
be otherwyse comely. A perfume of violets onlye can hyde so
muche, and not more, alas!

There is much to this, I fynde, and certes, the Saracen doctors of physick
are more wise in this waye than our owne leeches may boaste of.
Those who follow such as a regimen as I have outlined are less often
distemperate, and have less illnesses of the boweles, though it is
undoubtedlye unwise to risk fluxes and a myriad of agues to immerse
the whole self and invite contagion. Yette since the publick bath houses
are such morally corrupted establishments, a godly man hath lyttle fearre,
as he shall stay away from such low places.

Elias Gedney
Captain and Master - the "Wycked Bitche"