SC - Saxon Violets

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Mar 27 15:57:05 PST 2000

> What I've faced lately hasn't been "the fighters won't like it", it's a
> couple of non-fighters who jump up and scream "that won't be GOOD FOR
> the fighters."  I'm trying to do a period dayboard this summer.  I
> wanted to make beef tarts, chicken tarts, veggie/cheese tarts and fruit
> tarts, pickles & pickled vegetables, eggs, pretzels or bread & butter.
> I keep getting arguments about things like "eggs will make the fighters
> stomach's upset."  I counter, "Ok, then they don't have to eat them.
> I'm providing plenty else."  This generally gets me a dirty look.  I
> gave in on the "fighters NEED fresh fruits and vegetables because of
> their water content".  But, I didn't give in on "fighters will have
> difficulty eating tarts.  Make everything finger food."

Good for you!  As a former fighter and now fighter-feeder, I think that anybody who has not fought should NOT be telling people what to feed the fighters.

Because you know what is one of the most popular items for fighters to have after a battle?  Hot chicken-noodle soup.  No kidding.  Hardly finger-food, that.

But back on topic -- I know a lot of fighters who LOVE to eat hard-boiled eggs.  Instant protein, says them, light on the stummik and easy to eat with the fingers.

And as for the fruits/veggies, good that you gave in there.  These can be important things for the fighters, especially oranges (potassium again) and melons (lots of water), which are both period items.  Grapes and apples are equally easy to eat.

If you are offering a general food spread, don't let the contents be dictated by what some people think the fighters will eat.  But if it is directed only towards fighters then ASK THE FIGHTERS what they would like to eat during the day.  And then tell the busybodies that you KNOW what the fighters would like to eat (and yes, this includes the eggs, thank them very much!).

And as HE List Poppa pointed out, some fighters don't want to eat much of anything while they are fighting.  You'll find that the lunch grazing is light, but they will love you if snacks are available right after the tourney or battle is over for the day.

                      ---= Morgan