SC - Juice of sour oranges--source

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Mar 27 21:21:22 PST 2000

Gwynydd wrote:

>Unto the Gathered Cooks does Gwynydd send the Following:
>
>My most recent foray into the world of spices (which occurred just last
>week) shows that Grains of Paradise is still a prohibited import into
>Australia.  The spice merchant (Spice World) in one of the little side
>streets off the Elisabeth St Mall in Hobart tells me that he is trying to
>get the prohibition lifted but that he has had no success thus far.  In
>case anyone else out there is interested, this spice merchant does have
>galingal (called galangal) and cubebs, he also has relatively cheap
>saffron. (Lorix, I will be getting in touch to tell you his exact address
>soon!) <

The merchant in Spice world, while he has many of the wonderful spices we
require, isn't very knowledgeable in his trade.  I've caught him out
telling small untruths about what was and wasn't allowed before.  Don't
trust his sole opinion on this.  I'm going to check with customs directly
about this, I will post my findings here, unless I hear a wild outcry
against it.

- -Katerine (who sometimes doesn't take NO for an answer from merchants and
will continue to annoy until they tell her the truth =)