SC - don't cringe too bad....

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Mar 28 14:52:09 PST 2000

I think you have hit on part of the problem with people's perception of any
food - fermented or not.  If they are not brought up eating that food - or
food family - they perceive it as 'yucky'.  This can be cultural as well.  I
know that even though I was brought up with people eating tongue, scrapple
and head cheese, I cant stand the taste of any of them.  And I find it
unnerving to sit there and look at sliced tongue.  Probably shouldn't have
had the calf as a pet.

There are some people I know who have not had fish other than Mrs. Pauls
fish sticks and tuna out of the can.  They expect everything to be 'fishy'
if it has anything to do with the sea.  After I have made buttered pasta (I
don't remember what it is called properly), they changed their minds.  The
secret ingredient?  a single anchovy.

Basically, you boil a lb box of pasta, 1/4 c butter melted in after the
water is drained, three or four mashed garlic cloves and a single anchovy
that has been pulverized.  The flavour is amazing, and you can't even taste
the little fishy.

Diana d'Avignon

> I think the fish sauce thing, while possibly xenophobic, is probably also
> directly a matter of acquired taste. I wasn't raised on much seafood
myself,
> and certainly never bothered to acquire a taste for the various fish
sauces
> now only most recently available here. That door is probably closed unless
> something in the fermentation process rids the fish of it's iodine
content. I
> suppose I could try them with medicine in the other hand, but, I think
I'll