SC - Hamburger Everywhere!

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Mar 28 21:50:01 PST 2000

OK everyone, after some serious hassling to the customs information centre,
and a couple to quarantine, here is finally the full story on the customs
regs in relation to grains of paradise.
>From the regulations of Customs there is no restriction or prohibitation on
the importation of Afromomum Melegueta (Grains).  This means we should be
able to import it into Australia with no troubles.  It is not illegal or
prohibited from their point of view.
However they are still waiting on information back from Quarantine, which
is responsible for all he seizing business that goes on with anything they
can get their hands on.  It could be that they are broadly putting them in
with the 'seeds' catergory, which does attract lots of prohibitations,
restrictions and general hoo-haa when imported.
If that is indeed the case it could be an unfortunate case where something
has slipped through the cracks.  The up side is, if indeed it is a case
where things have slipped through the cracks, they can work on recitfying
the situation.  This means quarantine might let them through again in
about..... ohhhhh I dunno.....20-30 years.....give or take a few. ;-)

I'm expecting a call back later today from quarantine services.
I'll keep you posted.
- -Katerine