SC - Re: table eating utensils

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 28 22:14:34 PST 2000

I would like to know that I am using items which would have been
available in our time period.  A list such as the one I  suggested would
help me tremendously.  Cross referencing these ingredients by  region
would be even more so (if I ever decide to do a period meal from one
particular region, instead of a hodge podge like I do now).
> Balthazar of Blackmoor.
>
> Man cannot live on bread alone... he must have beer to soak it in.

	Well, this sort of dove-tails into something I've been doing the past
week and a half, introducing the email-enabled members of my Barony to
the idea of period ingredients and recipes for things that look familiar.
 I have sent along period gingerbread, stuffed eggs, apple tarts, the
cheese list, and last night, very late at night, I put together a quick
shopping list of things that could be had at the grocery store in a
hurry.  I thought I would post this here for comment, (be kind, it was
3AM) and additions.  I put some perioid things on there (like root beer)
because I was trying to fill in several areas.
So, here's my list, let's see what we can add to it.
Christianna

OK, so I hear you saying, "But, Mistress Christianna, all I have time to
do before one of these 5th Wednesday things is run to the Kroger and pick
up something quick.  How can I possibly make an attempt at pre-17th
century food?"  And to you I say -  Here's a list of a few things you can
pick up at your local grocery store, and stay well within the boundaries
set up for pre-17th century Western European food.  There's lots more,
but this 'shopping list' can help you get started.
	Looking forward to Wednesday,
	Christianna

cold sliced deli meats, chicken, ham, roast beef, salami, sausages
(keilbassa type), chunks o' ham, roasted chickens, canned smoked oysters,
clams, sardines, pickled/creamed herring

dijon style mustard, stone ground mustard, onion relish
horseradish sauce

sliced cheeses, cheese spreads (herbed and peppered), feta, blue,
cheddar, brie, riccotta, swiss

asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, cucumber, mushrooms,
radishes (red and white), scallions - maybe a quick veggie platter?

oranges, blood oranges, peaches, pears, apples (not Delicious), apricots,
cherries, grapes, watermelon, (cantelope & honeydew aren't exactly
period, but close to period varieties), figs, plums, quince, pomegranate,
berries (strawberries, blueberries)
Any of these as dried fruits, including dates, raisins, currants, prunes,
almonds, walnuts, cashews

hardboiled eggs, yogurt (for dipping fruit or veggies in, consider some
sugar and yogurt for dipping strawberries)

bread rolls, shortbread, matzoh, Norwegian flatbread (RyeKrisp),
breadsticks, rye bread, oatmeal bread, pita bread

olives, pickles, pickled vegetables (giardinera - that stuff with the
cauliflower), marinated artichoke hearts, pickled okra  :p

sparkling non-alcoholic fruit ciders, root beer (somewhat of a stretch,
but not too far), almond milk (available in aeseptic containers),
lemonaide