SC - Grains of Paradise. The story so far

margali margali at 99main.com
Wed Mar 29 03:59:38 PST 2000

"Craig Jones." wrote:

> In Kuala Lumpur in the 80's, I was able to get a McRendang in one of
> the stores (and I have the tray sheet to prove it..)  Basically,
> stewed beef rendang style (slightly on the dry side) slepped into a
> bun.  Not very tasty...

>From what I've seen, rendang is a sort of curry cooked till almost dry,
with cubes of beef having absorbed almost all of the sauce except for
some oil; the idea is that you can make up several days' worth of this
stuff and leave it, largely protected by the dryness and its oil, to eat
with rice and vegetables which cook more quickly. Indonesian convenience
food. I have actually brought rendang to camping events to eat with
fresh rice and pickles.

It's interesting, though, because I wonder how it would be baked or
steamed _inside_ a bun, as in wrapping it in a suitable dough and
cooking the whole thing. Maybe this is sufficiently different from the
other curries that tend to get stuffed into buns that the basic
conditions/rules don't apply. My experience, of course, is more along
the lines of secondary source, having once been a neighbor of Copland
Marks ;  ) .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy