SC - Re: Zabaglione

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Mar 29 05:32:14 PST 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 3/29/00 12:18:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> > stefan at texas.net writes:
>>>SNIP<<<  I would think that U.S. Truth
> > in Menu Laws (or Standards of Fill, etc) would prohibit the sale of something
> > labeled saffron, if it was not really saffron (of some grade or another.)  Of
> > course, this is not a U.S. only list we are on, is it? Caveat Imptor
>
> I think one problem for the unwary is that some languages and cultures
> have some built-in equivocation, causing confusion for people who don't
> understand this. For example, osfor or safflower stamens, sometimes used
> in places like Mexico as a reddish-yellow food coloring, are known in
> Spanish as azafran. <<<<SNIP>>>

There are also allowances in truth in advertising laws.  These usually
provide for slight variances in species or substitution due to
unavailability due to tarrif or quarantine.  I point to Cassia/Cinnamon
as one prime U.S. example.  Another example is the recent brouhaha about
the health benefits of red wine (or misrepresented benefits anyway).
The 'good guys' aren't always looking to 'protect' the consumers.

Safflower stamens could very well be an allowable substitute in packages
labeled 'saffron' in some countries/regions.  Check with your local
authorities to be sure.

niccolo difrancesco
Just because it is legal to label fat free does not mean it is good for
you.