SC - Which came first? the Castle or the Krystal WAS: don'tcringe toobad

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Wed Mar 29 06:40:19 PST 2000

CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:

> > I've never heard this claim
> >  made about sabayon. The Internet, yes, zabaglione, no. ;  )
>
> We all know that Al Gore invented the Internet, he said so. Tell the French
> to steal credit for something else.

Actually, it's my understanding that what Gore said was, "We invented
the Internet...", referring, in context, to American contributions to
same, and to the current regime's promotion of it in homes and schools.
Arguable, I suppose, but I don't believe he ever claimed personal
credit. Dull he may be, but unlike his predecessor in the job, he's not
_that_ stupid. I have some nice quotes from Dan Quayle speeches if
people want to discuss taking these things literally...

But yes, some arm of the French government's drive to eliminate English
terms from the French language, including terms like "e-mail", which
they feel oughtta be called "courieur electronique" or some such, has
made reference to a need to drive the English language from _their_
Internet. In response to which I ask, what Internet would that be? When
they invent something, I'll be happy to consider any suggestions of
nomenclature they may have.

As for zabaglione, yes, the French do call it sabayon, but I don't
believe they claim credit for coming up with it, as both Italy and
Germany would seem to have preceding claims. Unlike, say, meringue, puff
pastry, and various other French culinary achievements whose origins are
either lost or demonstrably not French.

> BTW (Cooking content) I looked at the Publix for the sour orange juice
> concentrate, they didn't have it, but they say they can order it. Now I'm
> wondering how often I might use the real thing as opposed to just mixing lime
> or lemon and orange juice.

I guess you won't know till you try. Do you think if you had a bottle of
the real stuff, you'd leave it to gather dust in favor of mixing the
other juices yourself? Presumably only if you didn't like it.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com