SC - OOP - Resturant Talk

Christi Rigby christirigby at pcisys.net
Wed Mar 29 08:17:52 PST 2000

I suppose I'll have to wade in on this one, since I am a tentseller in one
or other of my current incarnations.

A decently made period tent is well worth $350.00 USED,  particularly if you
intend to live in it for any stretch of time. Think of it....The tent is
warmer at night and cooler during the day than a rip-stop monster. It is
structurally more sound. It "breathes" if made from natural fibers. It's
walls are adjustable, so that you can lift a corner or two to let the breeze
flow through and can place the doors wherever you please if it's a wall type
tent (not a wedge). Usually it will sleep many more people than aforesaid
nylon monstrosity, and in a much more comfortable manner. Lastly (but only
because our space here is limited), it looks one hell of a lot better than a
nylon tent, no matter how creative you get with the camoflage.

$350.00 is not a lot for a historical canvas tent. I happen to own one
affectionately known as the Big Top that cost over $1,000.00 to buy seven
years ago. It is graceful, enormous, and still going strong. It's likely to
last me at least 20 years if I contiunue to care for it well. This tent has
survived hurricanes, and was the only tent we dare leave standing in the
tornado Pennsic a few years ago. It housed all of my camp for the night
(some 30 or so people) without a leak, creak or shudder. Nothing inside was
wet the next day.

<<warning, shameless plug>>
If any of ya'll are looking for period tentage, I happen to be a dealer for
Panther Primatives, and can get you the best deal you can broker for such a
fine residence (even if you were going to deal with the MFR, I can get you a
better price). I can also steer you clear of some of the pricey pitfalls,
instruct you on how to make your own poles and cross-bars, and can help you
discover the joys of shelving in a tent (yes, you can have shelves without
importing furniture---a stong bonus for merchants and those with wee ones).
We also sell our own manufacture of splicing braces that allow you to take
those long ridge poles or uprights and cut them in half for transport. They
are much stronger than the mfr's.
<<end shameless plug>>

Historical tentage is not for everyone. Tents are available from around $250
and up, depending upon style and options. But I can attest that it makes the
whole event experience so very much nicer. An added bonus is that flame
retardant canvas will not melt and fuse to your skin if you accidentally set
the lantern too close to the walls, the way nylon does.

Cheers

Aoife