Zabaglione - was, Re: SC - Book Review WAS Verjus

Gwynydd of Culloden Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au
Wed Mar 29 11:16:33 PST 2000

>     Well, I'm running behind on mail, so I *was* going to stay out
> of this, but........ ;-) Christy, you need to come up here and check
out
> Chattanooga! I do occasionally get sweetened cornbread here, but even
it is
> almost always  made with *white* cornmeal. I *have*, after fifteen
years, gotten  used to my  mother-in-law's sweetened corn muffins, but
even she makes pans of  cornbread  that are unsweetened. And definitely
from white
> cornmeal..............
>     Ldy Diana, who considers yellow cornmeal good only for
> polenta..............

	Ok, here's a question.  What do We (the collective We, kind of like the
Q) know about lye processing of corn products?  (Olives are also lye
treated, I believe that is how we get the black ones).  I know that grits
are lye-processed, at least the quick ones.  My lord has adverse
reactions to quick grits, and believes it is from the lye (he has no
problems with olives).  He got violently ill from a box of polenta mix I
made once, about 5 years ago, and as recently as last week was made ill
by the 'P' word being on a restaurant chalk board and it being discussed
by the waiters.  When we were recently looking at a brochure from SISCO
at work, the some of the corn products talked about being lye-processed.
So, I am interested in finding out 1) why are some corn (and other food
products) treated with lye and 2) what does it accomplish, and 3) Are
there alternatives to this process?
	Any clues as to where to check this out?
	Christianna