SC - White or yellow cornmeal?

WyteRayven@aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Wed Mar 29 18:52:11 PST 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au wrote:

> Not quite the finest.  Icing sugar is ground even more finely - so finely
> that it is as powdery as flour (I have a feeling that the Americans might
> call icing sugar "powdered sugar" and castor (or as I have seen it spelled
> in some US cookbooks, caster) sugar "confectioner's sugar", but I could be
> wrong about this).
<snip>

>From one who has lived both sides of the pond... ;-)

Icing sugar = powdered sugar =  confectioner's sugar
Castor sugar could = superfine sugar, but I thought castor was finer

In Britain,  castor sugar is usually used in things like cakes, and
occasionally on top of cakes, or on doughnuts rather than in tea and such.

(To me, for some really odd reason, it seems to have a slightly different
sweet taste - softer somehow - than regular granular sugar).

Also, although "regular" granular sugar is usually the sugar used to sweeten
tea in Britain (sugar cubes I guess if you want to be posh), "Demerera" (?sp)
sugar is the "preferred" sugar to use to sweeten coffee over there.

Even though I've been here a while now, I don't recall seeing Demerera sugar
used over here for that, or for other things - is it?

What about in Aussie-land?

And, is Demerara the sugar with the biggest crystals?  Is it period?

Elysant