SC - don't cringe too bad....

MPengwyn@aol.com MPengwyn at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 01:00:44 PST 2000

Blathazar of Blackmoor said:
> Apicious, a Greek cook of antiquity (and author of one of the earliest
> cookery books discovered to date) has numerous recipes in which garlic is a
> primary ingredient.  I'll try to track down the publication data for you
> (and, yes, the info to authenticate my claim).  This is one of the only
> "period" cook books I own, sadly.  If anyone can give me links to find
> others, I'd appreciate it.

Actually, we discussed various editions of Apicius cookbooks quite a lot
here. You might be interested in taking a look at this file in the
FOOD-BOOKS section of my Florilegium:
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (38K)  4/21/99    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.

I would of course, be willing to consider adding any additional comments
or reviews that you might have.

For some info on garlic and period recipes, although I can't remember
if there are recipes from Apicius in here or not, take a look at this
file in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
garlic-msg        (30K)  7/27/99    Medieval use of garlic. Garlic storage.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net