Subject: Re: SC - no Anglo-Saxon recipes?

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Thu Mar 30 11:11:56 PST 2000

Adamantius said:
> Recently somebody brought to my home as a gift a
> bag of safflower, telling me it was Turkish saffron. I did have reason
> to believe it was Turkish, but it definitely wasn't saffron. I thanked
> the guest graciously, and quietly addded the bag to my collection of
> safflower that people keep giving me, telling me it's saffron.

LOL!  Exactly the same thing happened to me, and I handled it in
exactly the same way... which leads to the logical question, what can
one actually use safflower _for_?  It doesn't smell much like
saffron, which is why I haven't used any of mine - I would imagine
the flavour would be different.  Barring subsitution for saffron, are
there recipes/cultural cuisines which specifically call for it?

Jehanne

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin  *  Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant/stidings.htm