SC - Re: A Zambone (Ice cleaning machine)

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Thu Mar 30 04:45:45 PST 2000

Robin Carrollmann wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:
>
> > Cooking with lead, however, does not give you that nice yellow color that
> > saffron does.  Gold, on the other hand....
>
> I once posted a period recipe for chicken soup which includes gold coins
> in its list of ingredients.  It is supposed to restore vitality even to
> the nearly-dead.
>
> Brighid

At some point I read about an Italian academy (basically a confraternity
of people with a united purpose) dedicated, essentially, to culinary
profligacy. Among the dishes they invented was gold florins cooked and
served in a sauce, which you presumably licked off the coins before
throwing them away.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy