SC - tents (Was:Book on Mongol Foods, Islamic Medicine

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Mar 30 20:45:56 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/29/00 6:17:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< My feeling is thus:  If it existed, and was used for cooking during the
time
 of our "period", then it is period.   >>

There are many cooks on this list who cook theme feasts, set in a specific
time and place. Some of us rarely if ever serve a feast outside the
perimeters of any given text.  For instance, I have produced 2 feasts with
recipes from al-Baghdadi and numerous other feasts in the last 17 years based
entirely on period cookery manuals. Master Adamantius has produced delectable
feasts using Chiquart's manuscript's and other manuscripts such as La
Manegier, Dame Aiofe produces scrumptious late period feasts using only
receipts from late period cookery manuals. There are others who escape me at
this time.

My comments were not meant to be taken in the way you interpreted them. I was
merely pointing out that if a period recipe calls for carrots then,
cauliflower would be an unacceptable substitute merely because we have no way
of knowing that a period cook would have made such a substitution unless the
recipe said so. While such a substitution would not be out of line for an
SCA-Cook, calling the resulting dish period would be.

Ras