SC - Re: OT: Naming

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 31 05:07:04 PST 2000

<<<<<Actually, the stuff I am referring to has just enough sugar to take away the bitterness of the pomegranate.  It is not syrupy-sweet.  Maybe that's still too sweet...I don't know.  Just thought I'd deliver the info.
Balthazar of Blackmoor>>>>>>

Texts refer to sweet and sour pomegranates, so it would depend on what you were trying to use.  BTW, if you add the pomegranate concentrated 'molasses' to some water, apple juice and honey, you can ferment out one da*ned fine melomel.  Pomegranate wine is referenced by Pliny the Elder as well as cargo manifests from 14th century Naples.  I have discovered no extant recipes or infredient lists for dame, so we came up with this mixture as an approximation of what 'could be'.  The straight pomegrante and honey (with water to dilute) turned out a wine very bitter, with a somewhat bitter aftertaste, giving it the overall impression of bitter.  That pomegranate bitter that you get in little squirts when you eat the seeds will get REALLY concentrated when you make a wine with them.

YMMV, but when you use a case of 32 fesh pomegranates and squeeze the little buggers for juice, you will get in the neighborhood of one gallon of fresh, clear juice.  It was an adventure relished, but not wanted for repeat.  We found the bollted juice and molasses work just as well for this application.

niccolo difrancesco
frementer of nigh anything that won't jump out of the brewpot :o)