SC - Another cooking failure - *sigh*

Gwynydd of Culloden Gwynydd_of_Culloden at freemail.com.au
Fri Mar 31 06:17:38 PST 2000

>My own experience isn't very helpful if he is interested in making money,
>but might be if he only wants to spread his work.
>
>The Miscellany has gone through eight editions over about thirteen years,
>and sold about two thousand copies (estimate). I set my wholesale price
>roughly equal to printing cost, however, so I'm not making any money on
>it, beyond payment for my time and trouble filling retail orders.
>
>The mechanics of self-publishing are amazingly easy nowadays. I go to my
>local giant business supplies store, which has a large copying operation
>attached, hand them my masters, explain what I want done with them, and
>get back boxes full of spiral bound books.  I even got them to give me a
>special price break as a large customer, which gets copying below 3 cents
>a page.
>
>I sell either directly, or occasionally in bulk to an SCA retailer
>(especially for Pennsic) and, most recently, to the stock clerk (I've also
>sold to one non-SCA reseller).
>
>I have thought about doing a commercially published medieval cookbook
>(working title _How to Mylke an Almond_), but haven't done anything about
>it, aside from mentioning the project to the agents who handled one of my
>commercial books (mundanely I'm an academic economist who, among other
>things, writes books).
>
>At this point, however, if I was starting out, I would probably do a web
>site instead of a book. It is less work to do and more accessible.
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>David/Cariadoc
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

Thank you for taking the time to answer this post.  Yes your answers seems
most helpful.  The Instructor has been hesitant to do the entire book for
free.  She seem quite good at reading Older Spanish Dialects.  She also Is
a cook which of course helps understanding what is being translated.

I will pass on to her the information both you and Valoise have given me.
Even though she might not want to do the entire book, al least I can give
her an honest answer to her Question.  She had said that she will help me
when I get stuck even if she does not want to do the entire book.  While I
can use some of the translators, I wish I had two computers side by side.
One to translate the old Spanish to new, and then from Spanish to
English.  Yet even those do not help with misspelled words.

I am currently trying to translate with the help of of line translators  a
modern german text on period furniture.  I will admitt, it is going slowly.

Thanks

Richard Keith