Grinding almonds (was Re: SC - Rabbit tips?)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Fri Mar 31 19:11:24 PST 2000

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Has anyone out there ever gotten almond milk to actually
> _thicken_ anything? I can't seem to get it to work.  Any hints would be
> appreciated!

Almond milk, per se, doesn't really thicken other liquids. It will,
however, get pretty thick if you reduce it by simmering. You'd need a
fair amount of good almond milk, say, maybe a quart or so, and reduce it
in cooking to perhaps 1-2 cups. Rather like those Thai or Singapore
curries made with coconut milk. In the case of an almond milk sauce, you
probably want to stop reducing it just before it starts to break and
produce surface oil.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy