SC - Feasts in Trimaris

Christi Rigby christirigby at pcisys.net
Wed Mar 1 13:14:11 PST 2000

Jehanne wrote:

No, but I would argue there is no reason not to wear cotton instead of
wool, because Florida is just too hot! I've been told that having Viking
garb in cotton isn't authentic... But it feels alot better to me. :) Then
again, I'm not entering my garb into ArtSci... I'm just trying for
something that looks alright while being comfy.

(end snip)

But that is a choice you have made freely, it was no t "Suggested" to you my
a higher power.  You can do anything you like and play the game anyway you
like.  And not have a problem with it.  But when someone begins to "suggest"
you do something you are then deprived of making that choice.  If I want to
make a feast that is completely period and everyone eats it.  I have done
things the way I want to play the game.  Just the same as if I decided to
serve 90% non-period items.

Also, I do not make 100% period feasts, I cook in a modern kitchen, just as
you may use a sewing machine.  And I use ingredients I buy from a modern
grocer, just as you use cotton.  So I have made my sacrifices for my art
already.  And using these analogies I should be able to cook period edible
foods, just as you wear garb.

(snip)
______________________________________

Similiarly, leaving pepper out of Leche Lumbard makes it taste better to
me, so I'll leave it out.
______________________________________
(end snip)

That is a choice you make as to your taste, not a single person "suggested"
to you that you leave it out.

We all adjust recipes as necessary.  That is part of being artists in the
kitchen.  But I still have not heard you explain to me why an all period
feast is bad.  Could you maybe give us an example of feast items that are
period and no one eats, and maybe there can be suggestions made from there.
I talked to Lance and we have made an agreement and I would like to help you
and your Coronets understand our point and hopefully we can begin to start
understanding their meaning better also.

Murkial