SC - Treacle Pie

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Mar 2 10:32:01 PST 2000

>Hmm...since treacle, from what I remember, is a byproduct of cane
>sugar refinement I would place it as out of period...

That's complicated. C. Anne Wilson, in _Food and Drink in Britain_,
discusses the relevant history, but is a bit vague about exact dates.
I think "treacle" was originally a medicinal, possibly based on sugar
refining residue, and the term got transferred (in England, not
America) to molasses when they became available as a cheap sweetener,
somewhere near or just after the end of our period.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/