SC - Treacle Pie

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 2 20:46:29 PST 2000

>That's complicated. C. Anne Wilson, in _Food and Drink in Britain_,
>discusses the relevant history, but is a bit vague about exact dates.
>I think "treacle" was originally a medicinal, possibly based on sugar
>refining residue, and the term got transferred (in England, not
>America) to molasses when they became available as a cheap sweetener,
>somewhere near or just after the end of our period.

Yeah. it also generally refers to whatever is left after any kind
of sugar production, which was something I forgot.  Sugar cane just
produces the best quality of treacle, but you get it from beets and other
sources as well.  In the URL I posted earlier today it listed a site which
referenced a Saint performing a miracle at a Treacle Well, or a well that
seemingly had nasty tasting but supposedly curative waters...so I'm disposed
to believing that in period that Treacle would refer to a nasty tasting
rememdy and then got applied to the sugar by-product as although sweet, I
wouldn't just want to eat it
alone because it's fairly disgusting that way as you know.

Cadoc MacDairi
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG

"It takes blood and guts to be this cool
But I'm still just a cliché...just a cliché"

  "Cliché" -- Skunk Anansi