SC - wait people in period?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Mar 3 11:49:53 PST 2000

Timothy Buxton wrote:

> The subject of "wait people" brought a question to my mind: do we have a
> good source which lists the assorted servants, servers, butlers, cooks, etc.
> in a period household?  I've seem smidgeons of this information here and
> there, but would love to have (or put together) some kind of semi-solid
> list.

Yup- in fact I'd been going through stuff to answer the question about
hand-washing and serving that was posted, uh, about a week ago (sorry
guys! I'm working on it!)

The short list of specific servants:

Marshal of the Hall (a sort of Maitre d' Hotel)
Usher (facilities director- cleanliness, furnishings, etc.)
Steward
Carver
Ewerer
Sewer/Surveyor (a head server- actually carries dishes, not just
management)
Pantler
Butler

assorted servers and other help

The short list of sources that I have used:

_The Boke of Curtasye_ Sloane MS. 1986, British Museum, 1430-1440.
	In _Early English Meals and Manners_ pp.175-205.

Wynkyn de Worde _The Boke of Kervynge_ 1413. in EEM&M, pp 149-174.

John Russell _The Boke of Nurture_ Harleian MS 4011, British Museum mid
15th c.
	In EEM&M pp 1-112.

_Ffor to Serva a Lord_ early 16th c., in EEM&M, pp. 349-360.

F.J.Furnival, ed. _Early English Meals and Manners_ London, Early
English Text 	Society, 1868.

Henisch, Bridget Ann. _Fast and Feast_, University park, Pennsylvania:
Pennslylvania State University Press, 1976.

I also have a booklet written by my friend Ray Lischner called "Servers
and Serving in the Middle Ages and Renaissance" that he wrote in 1991,
but I have no idea where it is right now- probably In The Basement.

Just as a note- the EEM&M and EETS stuff usually has a glossary, so
don't let the Middle English bits freak you out.

Hope this gives you a good start- holler if you have more questions!

'Lainie