SC - Cooking Challenge

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Fri Mar 3 10:39:36 PST 2000

Finally, a topic worth some discussion!  (Not to denegrate anyone's
personal beliefs, religious tolerance, or allergic states, but
puh-lease!)
	I would like to stage this sort of competition as well, but one thing
has me stumped.  How do you work period recipes into a timed contest such
as this?  In a short-on-time sort of situation, the average cook - even
one trained in medieval recipes, will make dishes based on their
experience and tastes.  This will not in most cases produce period food.
I have thought about having multiple copies of the most popular sources
handy, but the very act of research takes time, and negates the whole
point of the timed cook-off.
	Perhaps having some photocopies of sections of books, such as a packet
of vegetable recipes (that include the ingredients available), meat,
starch and dessert recipes available to the entrants?   Having the
sources available Friday night, so that the contestants can familiarize
themselves with some (but how would you know what would be in your box?)

	I have participated in this sort of contest before, and loved it.  It
was soooo much better at finding the best cooks than the standard
prepare-it-at-home-and-bring-it-in type of (mundane) contest.  (Not to
mention "Ready, Set, Cook!" and "Iron Chef" - two of my favorite shows
that follow this very format.)  However, if we are trying to create an
atmosphere of competition within the context of period cooking, how do we
assure period recipes?  Just having the ingredients there will not
produce documentably period results, as Cariadoc will happily explain to
you.

	Looking forward to some constructive discussion on this topic,
	Christianna

===