SC - Roman Feast, was Is period cooking "different" from the other arts?

margali margali at 99main.com
Fri Mar 3 17:30:08 PST 2000

WOW this sounds like fun, but around here people would believe that I
was raising dormice in jars...I had a polaroid of the lambs for one
event and introduced people to their dinner by name...

Mayeb we ought to do something like this instead of the buffet roman we
did at the last pennsic for this years roman feast.

The only problem with the reclining bit, that startedgaining popularity
in the imperial pweriod, but the republican romans tended to sit at
tables, and for the most part the women and kids still sat at tables in
most of the not so royal families in roma. most people didnt have the
space for a full triclinium in the apartments.
margali

We could not replicate the triclina, but everyone had to eat in the
reclined
position on rugs and cushions with very low tables set in a u shape.
Everyone had to dress Roman, or their persona's interpretation of Roman.

(and there was some pretty impressive costumes produced) One member is a

theatre technician so he borrowed some theatrical sets for a small
donation,
including 'ruined' columns and a huge guilded lion.  it was held on the
big
grassed yard attached to a church hall we often use, so we had both a
suitable setting and a kitchen.