SC - Feast Beverages

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Mar 3 22:45:31 PST 2000

At 8:07 PM -0800 3/3/00, Terri Spencer wrote:
>In one of the 20+ digests in the last 3 days (Wow!) someone wrote:
>
>  > If High table wants to drink iced tea or tang... fine. They'll do it
>  > out of period goblets and no one need be the wiser.
>
>Which brings up a question I've been thinking about while planning a
>feast for fall.  Since I've been in the SCA, in the Kingdom of
>Meridies, every feast at which I cooked, served or dined included iced
>tea.  Usually ice water, sometimes lemonade or cider, occasionally
>wine, beer or mead in years past, but ALWAYS sweetened iced tea.
>
>Is this common throughout the SCA?  If not, what beverages are served
>at feast in other kingdoms?  And a question for Meridiens on the list:
>is it so expected as to be required?  Would the absence of iced tea
>ruin a feast?

I introduced sekanjabin to the SCA for the specific purpose of
replacing iced tea (Salaamallah, I believe, independently introduced
it, probably for the same purpose). Like iced tea it is a cold drink
that is very inexpensive and very little trouble. Unlike iced tea, it
is a drink that was in common use in period--albeit in the civilized
world, not among the Franks.

The absence of iced tea would not ruin a feast--rather the contrary.
But then, I haven't been a Meridien for quite a while.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/