SC - Beef Stew With Vegetables!!!

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Sun Mar 5 08:29:34 PST 2000

Well, as an official taste tester of above products from Master A's kitchen,
I pronounce the three Anthimus recipes, yummy and doable.

The first, The Beef, was spicy and sweet and hinted of cloves and pepper.
Excellent in my opinion. At last a period stew (and well worth the wait )!

The second, The chicken, was totally unlike what I expected. In the use of
the garum, I expected a fishy tasting result. I was surprised to find it
fragrant, salted fairly, and tasting of chicken. It's texture was that of a
more cooked souffle with minced meat. The wine and honey sauces only enhanced
the dish. I enjoyed it and will pass this recipe on to my unsuspecting
mundane friends. I suppose that the use of scallops as per the recipe would
only increase the pleasure factor, though I would try it sans chicken first
and then with, to test maximum effectiveness.

The third, the lentil salad, was spicy (coriander) and sweet (vinegar), and
would be an excellent addition to a feast with appreciative vegetarians and
omnivores alike.

All in all, an excellent use of materials and of resources. I (who does later
recreation) am most happy to see earlier sources available.  Now, I can
foresee a Byzantine feast in my cooking future.....

Andrea MacIntyre